Friday, December 16, 2011

Pantone's Color of the Year.....

Every year, Pantone announces their predicted color of the year. This year, its......

 
Tangerine Tango, or what most of us would call red-orange, burnt- orange, or orangish red. Pantone describes this as "an orange with a lot of depth to it. Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy." 

It's remarkable how much influence Pantone's announcement has on the fashion and home-design world.  Who knows what else will be influenced by this prediction. Will we all be wearing orange eye shadow this spring? Will my iPhone case be blinged out in tangerine? Will my kids be crying until they get their hands on burnt-orange sneakers? 


Last year's color was a lovely pink, coined Honeysuckle:


Pantone's color choices are quite bold, and I can see using them as accents in a room, but an orange room just doesn't do it for me (neither does a bright pink one for that matter.) I mean, for a little while I would love it, but I prefer a clean, classic look that doesn't go out of style.

Here are some Tangerine inspired rooms I found that I did like:


OK, so this room isn't exactly using the color Tangerine Tango, but it is making use of the color combination quite nicely. I love those tufted chairs and that coffee table rocks the house. Um, check out those windows! Are they bifold or are those Nana windows?


Bold. Enough said. My sister-in-law has that owl umbrella stand and I just adore it. Not sure how I feel about the two-tone effect going on in the back room though.


I really, really, really like this bedroom. Everything from the use of colors, the mixture of patterns, the headboard, the black lamps, I could go on and on. Micah would never go for it, but I could see it being an adorable guest room.


I spy both last year's and this year's Pantone colors!


Gotta love the use of complimentary colors! Orange and blue (go Gators!) Check out those baseboards! We are doing something very similar, just without the decorative molding on top.

Here are some house-ware options using Panetone's color of the year, for those of you bold enough to venture out of the "neutral zone."

Parlour Chair, $699



Pouf,$89.95




ARC Chair $349


Martini Side Table, $129


Biscuit Tin, $9

Jonathan Adler acrylic tray, $79

Flecked Striped Sheet Set, $268


Madeline Weinrib
Urban Outfitters decal, $49

Wise Ol' Owl Canister, $128


Dalloway Arm Chair, $1098

Scroll Headboard, $450

So what are your thoughts on Panetone's color choice this year? Do you see it being a hit? Do you plan on using it in your home?

1 comment:

  1. I love how they pick out a color every year. It really does determine so much with design. Love the pieces you picked out.

    ReplyDelete